Friday, December 26, 2008

Who wants to Roam?

As most of my friends know, I am a huge fan of the red wine "Goats do Roam" although I was always a white wine person. Reds in my opinion had a bitter, bark tree like taste and so I had no interest. Someone convinced me that not only was red wine better for you, but there really are red wines that are soothing to your pallet and quite medicinal. They were right.

I was introduced to Goats do Roam about 2 years ago and have not looked back. I have also referred this wine to many, many people who love it as well. I'm now introducing it to you. This wine is produced in South Africa and is corkless. Purchase price is anywhere between $8.99 - $16.99 per bottle depending on where you live. I usually get it for $8-99-$9.99 per bottle.

Respected South African winery Fairview owner/vintner Charles Back has built what started as a single red blend named Goats do Roam into a full-fledged wine company offering a range of top-quality, blended wines widely available throughout the wine-drinking world. The Goats do Roam brand is, in fact, the single-biggest selling South African wine label in the United States. Fruit for the wines is sourced from vineyards in the Paarl, Malmesbury and Stellenbosch areas, where Back owns farms or buys fruit from selected wine growers. No matter what their origins, grapes are selected based on the basis of inherent fruit quality and flavor characteristics required for each respective blend in the range.

The grapes are vinified in Fairview’s cellar in Paarl by Charles Back and resident winemaker Anthony de Jager, also responsible for the Fairview range. For all the light-hearted sense of fun evident in the labelling and branding of the Goats do Roam range, the wines themselves take a serious approach to quality. The style is modern, fruit-rich, with intelligent use of wood for either fermentation and/or maturation in small French and American oak barrels. The range is predominantly red, complemented by selected whites and a rosé and covering tastes from those that call for a wine with complexity and cellaring potential to those that require early drinking.

Come on and Roam with me. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Just the name alone makes it intriguing to me. I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

About vicTORIous

My photo
I am a free spirit and an extreme realist. With God, I've encountered strength that I never knew was possible.